Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Most anxious to appear clever

Усадьба Богимово, the setting of 'The House with the Mezzanine'
Chekhov in his story "The house with the Mezzanine" paints, in a single sentence, an instantly recognizable and convincing portrait of a young man who has retained the social awkwardness of his student days:
Chekhov, 1879
Зато мой  Петр  Петрович,  у  которого  еще  со студенчества осталась манера всякий  разговор  сводить  на  спор,  говорил скучно, вяло и  длинно,  с  явным  желанием  казаться  умным  и  передовым человеком.
On the other hand my friend Pyotr Petrovich, who still retained the student habit of turning everything into an argument, spoke boringly, listlessly and longwindedly - he was obviously most anxious to appear advanced and clever.
Tolstoy in Youth (Юность) presents himself as a young student with a similar social affliction in a memorably cringeworthy scene:
- Вам,  я  думаю,  скучно,  monsieur Nicolas,  слушать из  середины,  - сказала мне  Софья  Ивановна с  своим  добродушным вздохом,  переворачивая куски платья, которое она шила.
Чтение в  это время прекратилось,  потому что Дмитрий куда-то  вышел из комнаты.
- Или, может быть, вы уже читали "Роброя"?
В то время я считал своею обязанностию, вследствие уже одного того, что носил студенческий мундир,  с  людьми мало  мне  знакомыми на  каждый даже самый простой вопрос отвечать непременно очень умно и оригинально и считал величайшим стыдом короткие и ясные ответы,  как: да, нет, скучно, весело и тому  подобное.  Взглянув  на  свои  новые  модные  панталоны и  блестящие пуговицы сюртука,  я отвечал, что не читал "Роброя", но что мне было очень интересно слушать,  потому что я больше люблю читать книги из средины, чем с начала.
- Вдвое интересней:  догадываешься о  том,  что  было и  что  будет,  -
The young & unpleasant Tolstoy

добавил я, самодовольно улыбаясь.
'I expect you find it dull, Monsieur Nicolas, to hear the middle of the story without knowing the beginning,'  said Sophia Ivanovna to me with her good-natured sigh, turning over the pieces of a garment she was making.
The reading had stopped just then because Dmitri had gone out of the room.
'Or perhaps you have read Rob Roy before?'
At that time I thought it incumbent on me, if only on account of my student's uniform, always to give clever and original answers to even the simplest question put to me by people I did not know very well, and I should have been deeply ashamed to offer brief plain replies like 'Yes,' 'No,' 'I don't care for it,' 'I like it,' and so on. With a glance at my fashionable new trousers and the shining buttons on my coat I said that I had not read Rob Roy but that it was very interesting to me to listen to it because I preferred to read books from the middle rather than from the beginning.
'It is doubly interesting,' I added with a self-satisfied smile. 'One tries to guess what has gone before and what will happen further on.'
Youth p. 242 sect 23

Then in his story 'Muzhiki' (sometimes translated as 'Peasants'), Chekhov describes a character whose only achievement is the acquisition of a few unusual words.
В городе он не живал и книг никогда не читал, но откуда-то набрался разных умных слов и любил употреблять их в разговоре, и за это его уважали, хотя и не всегда понимали.
Although he had never lived in a town or read any books, somehow he had managed to accumulate a store of various clever-sounding words and he loved using them in conversation, which made him respected, if not always understood.
How many writers still it these shoes? The awkward youth eager to impress? The ill-educated spicing every paragraph with clever-sounding words? People like me peppering obscure blog posts with quotes in multiple languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment