Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Lord's Tokens


I notice that in the section of the Java Language Specification devoted to tokens the following line's from Love's Labour's Lost are quoted.

These lords are visited; you are not free,
For the Lord's tokens on you do I see.

The quotation seems a bit weird and obscure in isolation, particularly if one doesn't realize that the "Lord's tokens" referred to the black coin-shaped patches on the skin that signalled infection with the plague.

Yet I have a trick
Of the old rage: bear with me, I am sick;
I'll leave it by degrees. Soft, let us see:
Write, 'Lord have mercy on us' on those three;
They are infected; in their hearts it lies;
They have the plague, and caught it of your eyes;
These lords are visited; you are not free,
For the Lord's tokens on you do I see.

The word "token" derives from the Old English tæcean, to show, from which we more directly get the word "teach".

In a recent London Review of Books article, James Shapiro points out "It’s hard to decide what’s more disturbing about the exchange: the casual joking about spotting ‘the Lord’s tokens’ on her skin – as close to a death warrant as you could get – or the joke about inscribing the warning ‘Lord have mercy on me’ on the infected."

No comments:

Post a Comment